Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Brand New Band

Already being a member of a band is helpful though I am not the lead singer. I rather enjoy the style of music we play. It is psych-folk music with a focus on chord texture and harmony rather than on melody. The music is peaceful and/or contemplative and uses a wide variety of instruments from standards like the bass, vocals, percussion and piano, to less common instruments like the viola, accordian, melodica, and saw (acoustic theremin). If I was the lead singer of a band I would like to take this same style and infuse it with ska, creating some more upbeat lines and the general energy that comes with brass instruments. Bands that would be of influence would include Reel Big Fish, Beirut, and local talent Sweating Honey. My current band name is Heifa, taking much influence from the band Beirut. As far as a name, maybe something like "Keep the Nostalgia at Bay". It's a start though coming up with names was never really my thing. I'm thinking about the feeling that the style of music evokes for me. Both Ska and Folk music give me a reminiscent/ponderous feeling.  I'm also thinking of places in my past that evoke the same feeling such as Hanelei Bay and Monterrey Bay, amongst others.

No comments:

Post a Comment