Monday, March 5, 2012

Public Schools

Referring to our discussion in class, I do believe the public education system is very limiting. I recall many times where I wish I was able to focus on the things I enjoyed and was really interested in learning about but was not able to. Some of this was due to classes being unavailable, but mostly I felt as though I had to jump through pointless hoops just so I could have an easier time paying for college. I feel that once one discovers something of interest, they should be able to explore that field as far as they can. The public school system however designates blocks of learning for specific subjects at specific times of the day. It really screams industrialism and mass production which is not how students should be treated. This system is not conducive to true learning. I feel that the public school system teaches people how to take tests more than it allows for discovery of the world around them.

Though I have not had the experience of going to a private school or being home schooled, I believe that the emphasis that can be placed on self discovery and understanding rather than cramming information (sometimes senseless information) would develop individuality as well as a better sense of direction in ones life.

No comments:

Post a Comment